Questions to ask to help identify risks
What can happen?
- Create a comprehensive list of events and risks that might happen given the event. Then examine the list in more detail to answer the next two questions.
How can it happen?
- Consider all possible causes and scenarios remembering that any risk may be initiated several ways.
Why can it happen?
- Consider what might go wrong.
You might find it useful here to revisit the information provided under ‘Some sources of risk’ in the Background section of this tool.
Techniques to help identify risks
- Judgments based on experience and records
- Flow charts
- Systems analysis
- Scenario analysis
- Asking other groups about their experiences with similar events
- Accessing information from web sites
The approach you use will depend on the nature of activities for your Australia Day celebrations.