Dr Hass Dellal OAM
Dr Bulent (Hass) Dellal OAM was appointed Executive Director of the Australian Multicultural Foundation in 1989, an organisation established to promote a strong commitment to Australia as one people drawn from many cultures. Between 2002-2004 he was appointed a part time Special Adviser for the Australasian Police Multicultural Advisory Bureau by the Conference of Commissioners of Police, Australasia and the South West Pacific Region.
Dr Dellal has had extensive experience throughout Australia and internationally on multicultural affairs and has spearheaded a number of initiatives for the benefit and development of the general community. He serves on a number of committees and boards and has prepared numerous reports, programs and conferences that deal in community relations, community capacity building, business, police relations, youth issues, access and equity, cultural and religious diversity, skill recognition, cross cultural training, second language development, philanthropy and the arts as well as research for policy development on behalf of Government, Community and the private sector.
He recently organised the National Muslim Youth Summits, the National Conference of Imams on behalf of the Commonwealth Government and the Australian Muslim Community, which informed the National Action Plan. He Co-hosted with Monash University the 2007 Metropolis Conference and has initiated numerous community forums and community based events throughout Australia.
Internationally, a co-founder of the establishment of the European Multicultural Foundation (an international think tank). Introduced the biannual Diversity Matters Conferences for the Commonwealth Nation’s with the Commonwealth Foundation and has promoted the Australian Multicultural Experience internationally, on many occasions.
He has also initiated media, television and community campaigns promoting the advantages of Australia’s cultural diversity.
Dr Dellal’s views, ideas and thoughts are sought by numerous diverse community groups, government authorities, private sector and individuals on a broad range of issues related to Cultural and Religious Diversity, Settlement and Citizenship.
Current memberships includes:
- Board of directors of SBS
- member of the Board of Trustees, European Multicultural Foundation;
- Chair for the Centre for Multicultural Youth Issues;
- Chair of the National Centre of Excellence for Islamic Studies Consultative Committee, Melbourne University;
- Advisory board member on the Global Terrorism Research Centre, School of Political and Social Inquiry, Monash University;
- member of the International Steering Committee, International Metropolis Project (Canada);
- member of the Advisory Committee, Immigration Museum (Victoria);
- Convenor, Diversity Matters Forums;
- member of the Advisory Board, UNESCO Chair in Inter-religious and Intercultural Relations – Asia Pacific;
- member, Australian Partnership of Ethnic and Religious Organisations (APERO);
- Member on the Advisory Board of the Global Terrorism Research Centre, Monash University,
- Member of the Victorian Government Multicultural Arts Policy advisory Committee,
- an Australia Day Ambassador,
- Fellow of the Williamson Leadership Program 1993
- and former Commissioner of the Victorian Multicultural Commission.
Awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia in the General Division for services to Multicultural Organisations, the Arts, and the Community on the Queen’s Birthday Honours List 1997, and awarded the Centenary of Federation Medal in 2003.
Dr Dellal was conferred with an Honorary Doctorate in Social Sciences by RMIT University on the 13 December 2006.
Also in 2009 appointed to the Commonwealth Government's Australian Multicultural Advisory Council.