Christine Nixon APM
Snake Valley Ambassador
As former Chair of the Victorian Bushfire Reconstruction and Recovery Authority, Christine Nixon oversaw the largest recovery and rebuilding operation Victoria has ever undertaken.
Under Christine’s leadership, the Authority worked with communities, businesses, charities, local councils and other government departments to help people and communities recover and rebuild.
Since August 2010, Christine has moved into a role as the Victorian Government’s Advisor on Bushfire Reconstruction and Recovery. In her new role Christine continues to support communities, to work with the bereaved community, and to remain a member of the Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund panel. Christine’s priority is to help communities recover and rebuild in a way that is safe, timely, efficient, and respectful of each community’s different needs.
Prior to joining the Authority, Christine was the Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police leading 14,000 staff, operating across more than 500 locations, and overseeing an annual budget of $1.7 billion.
She joined Victoria Police in April 2001, after serving with the New South Wales Police from 1972.
Christine is a Fellow of The Australian Institute of Police Management, The Australian Institute of Management and The Institute of Public Administration Australia.
Christine is an Advisory Board member for the Monash University Council, the Alannah & Madeline Foundation and a patron of Onside Soccer – Victorian Soccer Federation Incorporation, Operation Newstart Victoria and Phoenix Club Inc.
- Honorary Doctorate of the University of Ballarat 2009
- Honorary Doctorate of Laws (Monash) 2005
- Honorary Doctorate of Letters (Wollongong) 2003
- Foreign & Commonwealth Office Scholarship to the UK 1989
- Aspen Institute, Executive Management Course 1986
- Harkness Fellowship of the Commonwealth Fund of New York 1984–86
- Research Fellow: Program in Criminal Justice Policy & Management – (Harvard) 1985–86
- Master of Public Administration (Harvard) 1984–85
- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy and Politics (Macquarie) 1981–83
- Diploma in Labour Relations and Law (Sydney) 1979–80
- Certificate in Personnel Administration 1974-77