In 2008, off the back of an atrocious hangover, Chris Raine decided to do something that would change his life forever – he committed to a 12-month break from alcohol and shared his story through a blog he called Hello Sunday Morning.
By the end of the year, 20 people had decided to join him on his sober adventure. There are now over 6,000 people in the program and there will be over 10,000 by 2013.
What started as an idea has now become a movement. Hello Sunday Morning is a platform for any individual to create meaningful change in their lives through a three-month period of sobriety. By sharing their story, each person's stand is a unique and essential contribution to a more healthy drinking culture.
Chris is the CEO of the health promotion charity that facilitates the program and supports thousands of people across the world to take a break and assess their own relationship with alcohol.
The Hello Sunday Morning program was awarded the 2011 Australian Government National Award for Services to Young People.
Chris talks internationally about what it takes to create a social movement as well as the deeper underpinnings of a drinking culture.
Awards and Positions
• Queensland Young Australian of the Year, 2012.
• Young Australian of the Year, Finalist, 2012.
• Young Social Pioneer Program, Executive Chairperson and Program Ambassador, 2012.
• CLEO Bachelor of the Year, Finalist, 2012.
• Australian Men’s Health, Health Hero, 2012.
• International ‘Architect of the Future’, Vienna, Invitee, 2012.
• University of the Sunshine Coast Alumni of the Year, 2011.
• Triple J, 25 under 25, 2011.
• Young Social Pioneer (one of 12 in Australia), 2011.